Press Releases/News

< Back to news items

Desaun Johnson pleads guilty to cab driver robbery and shooting.

May 24, 2005

For Immediate Release

Lynchburg, Virginia

Media Contact

Vicki Mann

(434) 455-3776

On May 24, 2005, 21-year old, Desuan Steven Johnson, pled guilty to five felony charges relating to the November 28, 2004 shooting of an Allied Cab Driver. The defendant pled guilty to Robbery, Malicious Wounding, Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon and to two counts of Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony. The defendant had been set to be tried by a jury.

The facts of the case revealed that at approximately 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, November 28, 2004, the defendant flagged down an Allied Cab at the intersection of Fifth and Polk Streets. After being taken to the intersection of 15th and Grace Streets, the defendant pulled out a gun and demanded money from the cab driver. When the cab driver attempted to get out of the cab, the defendant shot him twice - the first shot in the back and the second shot grazing his neck. The cab driver was still able to get out of the cab and run down 15th Street, screaming for help. As he was running down the street, the cab driver threw money on the ground, in the hopes that the defendant would take the money. Instead of immediately taking the money, the defendant pursued the cab driver down 15th Street, eventually catching him on the front porch of a residence on Jackson Street. The defendant then fired a third shot, once again grazing the back of the cab driver's neck. When the defendant fled the scene, he ran back up 15th Street, picking up between $150 and $180 that the cab driver had thrown on the ground.

The cab driver spent a total of 4 days in the hospital recovering from his injuries and to this day, has a bullet lodged in his back.

The case was prosecuted by Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Charles Felmlee. The defendant will be sentenced by Circuit Court Judge Mosby G. Perrow, III on July 15, 2005. The defendant will remain incarcerated in the Blue Ridge Regional Jail System until his sentencing.