Press Releases/News

< Back to news items

Adolphus Lee Thomas Jr., found guilty of Forcible Sodomy

July 12, 2006

For Immediate Release

Lynchburg, Virginia


On July 11, 2006, a Lynchburg Circuit Court Jury found 19-year old Adolphus Lee Thomas, Jr. guilty of the Forcible Sodomy of a 12-year old boy. The following day, July 12, 2006, the jury returned and recommended that the defendant serve seven (7) years in the penitentiary. Judge Mosby Perrow revoked the defendant 's bond and set a formal sentencing date for September 22, 2006. The defendant will remain incarcerated at the Blue Ridge Regional Jail with no bond pending formal sentencing.

The facts of the case revealed that on Friday night, July 29, 2005, the 12-year old victim was at the defendant's residence. The 12-year old victim fell asleep in the defendant's bed and was woken up to a poking sensation in his buttocks area. When the 12-year old victim turned around, he observed the defendant hovering over him. The defendant was engaging in anal intercourse with the 12-year old victim. When 12-year old victim asked the defendant what he was doing, the defendant stated, "I'm doing you." The 12-year old then realized that he was naked from the waist down as the defendant had removed the 12-year old victim's boxers and shorts while he had been sleeping. The 12-year old victim then pushed the defendant off of him and quickly got out of the bed. The 12-year old immediately reported what happened to other people in the house.

A forensic nurse examiner testified at trial that she examined the 12-year old victim at Lynchburg General Hospital within five hours of the sodomy occurring and that she found injuries to the victim's anus. Specifically she discovered that the entire circumference of the victim's anus was swollen and that there were two tears found on the perianal skin at the anal opening.

Lynchburg Police responded to the defendant's residence and had the defendant come to the police department for an interview. During the trial, the jurors were shown the entire 50-minute interview during which the defendant's story of what happened repeatedly changed.

Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Chuck Felmlee prosecuted the case for the Commonwealth.