Press Releases/News

< Back to news items

Drive-by Shooter found guilty - 37 years in prison

September 4, 2009

For Immediate Release

Lynchburg, Virginia



After a 2-day trial, August 31st thru September 1st, a Lynchburg jury found 21-year old Marcus Antonio Miller guilty of a March 22, 2009 drive-by shooting that occurred in downtown Lynchburg.

The jury found the defendant guilty of the Aggravated Malicious Wounding of Ronald Slaughter, the Malicious Wounding of Keonica Miles, two counts of Using a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony, Maliciously Shooting at an Occupied Dwelling, and Shooting from a Vehicle. The jury recommended that the defendant serve 37 years in prison for his crimes.

The facts of the case revealed that on Sunday night, March 22, 2009, at approximately 7:30 p.m., the defendant and Andretti Thomas went to the 700 block of Madison Street. The defendant and Andretti Thomas were involved in an altercation at 700 Madison Street that resulted in a gun being fired. The defendant and Andretti Thomas left but told the defendant told the crowd that he would be coming back.

The facts showed that the defendant did return at 8:22 p.m. at which time two cars were caught on a surveillance video camera driving by 710 Madison Street and 700 Madison Street and opening fire on both houses. There were at least 14 shots that were fired with two people being struck and two houses being struck. 36-year old Ronald Slaughter was shot in the stomach and 22-year old Keonica Miles was shot in the leg.

Lynchburg Police were able to use the surveillance videotape and eventually identify the two vehicles used in the drive-by shooting. Both cars turned out to be rental vehicles that had been rented to the defendant's parents. When the second rental vehicle was recovered, it was discovered that it had a fresh bullet hole in the right rear bumper.

The defendant will return to court on October 16, 2009 at 9:30 a.m. at which time Judge Mosby Perrow will formally sentence the defendant.

Detective Todd Rodes of the Lynchburg Police Department was the lead detective on the case. The case was prosecuted by Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Chuck Felmlee.